BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 18, 2009

Taking that first step...

Everyone who knows me knows that I’m not a morning person. You don’t start a conversation with me and most of all you don’t smile at me until I have woken up. But here I sit, 5 am, cheerily taking patient’s food orders in a windowless basement office of a hospital on 3 hours of sleep. Graduate school has turned me into a crazy person. One thing this job has taught me is that I am extremely productive between the hours of 5-7 am. Who would have known? Today I finished a paper AND most of a case study during those hours, with phone interruptions. Another thing that this job has taught me is that it is hard to eat healthy in a work environment. I knew of this before on some level, but with my new nutrition eyes, it has become all the more apparent. Food is a very highly personal and sensitive topic. It brings people together. It can also be the source of some anxiety and awkwardness. Have you ever been to a party where you politely decline that piece of cake or second helping (and just try doing this to your grandma – it’s near impossible!)?

So how do you deal with this and still keep your relationships in tact when you’re making a lifestyle change? Well, firstly, when you make the decision to commit to a healthier way of eating, you may meet opposition. Maybe you have a friend with whom you get ice cream with every Friday night or a partner who you eat extravagant meals out with. The nature of your relationship will change. Sit down and talk with everyone, one at a time. These people will need to know of your intentions and how committed you are to making these changes. Some of the people in your life might not be willing to support you. Just remember your goal – you are doing this for yourself, not them and their negativity will do no service for you. They may eventually come around. If the people in your life are willing to support you, brainstorm ideas together for activities you can do that are not surrounded by food. This can be a great way not only to do activities that you have wanted to do (see that band, visit that museum, hike that trail), but also to bond in healthy ways. It’s even better if you could get someone on board with you!

Though this is just the first step to start your journey, it is an important one not to miss. The support of your friends and family is an invaluable tool to your success. So like I have made adjustments and provisions to reach my goal of becoming a Dietician (5 am: seriously!?) we all need to make changes in order to reach our goals. Getting healthy is no exception. So take sometime to start in this affirmative way and you’ll be on your way to a healthier you in no time!

0 comments: