BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My perfect summer meal

Last summer I had just moved into my small studio apartment in Seattle. I was so excited to be on my own in the city. What was also exciting was my proximity to Whole Food Market and the Farmer's Markets in the U-District and Wallingford. This could also be considered a negative because as my stomach benefited, my wallet was soon being emptied on the summer bounty. While most Americans are spending less of their disposable income on food (less than any other developed country), I was spending most of mine on food (granted my income is a lot less than typical being a poor student and now intern). It was one of my first days in my apartment and I was enjoying my new found freedom away from my roommates. I walked over to Whole Foods to browse and find "inspiration" in the isles, my usual, but time consuming routine. When I saw the beautiful multi-colored cherry tomatoes, I had my idea. This summer, as soon as I saw the tomatoes at the market, I had to have it again! This recipe can easily be adapted for elimination diets (except nightshade allergies) by using brown rice linguini and omitting the cheese.

Linguini with Garlicky Cherry Tomatoes, Kale and Toasted Pine Nuts

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 bunch lacitino kale, ripped into small pieces
1 lbs whole wheat linguine
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
ricotta salata cheese for topping (optional)

Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the garlic. Cook about 30 seconds, careful not to burn the garlic. Stir in the tomatoes and sea salt. Cook until the tomato skins are slightly wrinkly, about 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook until it turns bright green and is slightly wilted. Toss the cooked pasta with the tomatoes and kale in the skillet and add the toasted pine nuts. Serve with crumbled ricotta salata cheese if desired.

The last time I made this dish I also made simple chicken cutlets with it. I used a dry herb mix that I bought in the whole food bulk section, which I used like bread crumbs. It had dried basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and marjoram. For this particular recipe, I think dried herbs work best, but substituting with some fresh would be ok too.

Italian Herb Crusted Baked Chicken Cutlets

1 chicken breast, sliced into 1/4 thick cutlets
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Italian herb seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In one dish, pour the olive oil and in another combine all the spices. Dip the chicken cutlets first in the olive oil, coating it completely, then into the herb mixture. Place cutlets onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

1 comments:

Ryah said...

Yumm! My favorite cherry tomatoes are sungolds. They are so sweet, I can eat them like candy. I'm excited to check out the Boulder Farmers Market tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back.