BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Beginning

It’s always exciting in the beginning. I feel motivated and happy to start my journey. It is now day 5 of the detox and this is the first chance I’ve gotten to write. Day 1 was temporarily pushed back when I realized that I had a high tea planned for a friend. I had never been to one of those, so I thought I’d take advantage of the new experience and I’m glad I did. It was wonderful! All those little tiered plates with finger sized treats and piping hot tea, mmmm! So I officially started on Thursday. It’s been going very well, except for a small slip up on Saturday.

I’ve been having smoothies for breakfast with bananas, ground flax seed, tahini and rice milk (I’m unsure if rice milk counts as a grain, but you have to draw the line somewhere). I made a large pot of chili with ground turkey, pinto and kidney beans. It turned out so creamy and delicious. I think I can attribute that to me over cooking the beans slightly. Some of the pintos were very soft, while others in tact, making the “sauce” rich and velvety. I made that pot several meals, which I paired with fresh green salads and simply prepared veggies. Here is my simple recipe for tasty coleslaw; it is so pretty to look at too!

Simply Delicious Coleslaw

Serves 4-6
15 minutes

¼ head red cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, matchsticked
1 bunch radishes, cut into rounds
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt

Combine the cabbage, carrots, radishes and parsley in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Whisk in the oil and salt. Add the dressing the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Add more salt to taste.

4 comments:

fruit detox said...

Thanks for the coleslaw recipe -- I can't wait to try it.

I enjoy reading about your detox.

Thanks,
Jana

Ryah said...

i think i'm going to go make this slaw right now!

Sabrina said...

1. I want the chili recipe too and
2. How long is your detox?

Laura said...

Slightly delayed but:
1. I'll try to reproduce it and post it.
2. About 1 month long, but I am going to do the reintroduction so depending on reactions, it may go longer. I just tested corn yesterday and all is well, soy will be Thursday.