BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 1, 2009

Participation is fun :)


I've sent out this blog to my family and friends, which is wonderful since many of them live about 3,000 miles from me (the gap will close soon, but now my new friends will all be scattered :( ) and it's a great way for them to peek into my world. My world right now consists of thinking about food virtually all of the time. I think writing about it too might help my compulsion to start food related conversations with people that don't care. But for the people who do (like my Aunt Fran, who asked me to talk about Acid Reflux), thanks for listening and reading my blog.

Now to the matter at hand. Acid reflux is caused by a back flow of stomach or intestine contents into the throat. This is due to loosening of the muscle in that area, which are usually tight and prevent back flow. What can you do about it? Well, food can definitely plan a role in the management of symptoms. Everybody is different, so you must listen to your body. Each person will have foods that trigger their symptoms. Some common foods are citrus or tomatoes. Be on the look out for your trigger foods. You should also be sure not to eat large, high fat meals, as these foods will stay in your stomach longer, giving the stomach more of a chance to churn and produce acid. A big recommendation is not to lie down for 3 hours after you have eaten. If you are standing or sitting, you're letting gravity do the work to keep what is in your stomach down. Avoid coffee, peppermint and spearmint, as these may make your symptoms worse by increasing the muscle relaxation. Alcohol also makes symptoms. Some camps of thought believe this to occur from a LACK of acid in the stomach, not an overproduction and recommend getting acids levels back up. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but just a few suggestions if you are suffering from acid reflux. Most importantly, eating a whole foods diet full of fiber is sure to be helpful.

0 comments: